Race Against the Clock! (or just try to finish)
Looking to push yourself with a next-level challenge? Take a shot at the DIRTY 130 and see how you stack up against other riders who've attempted this ridiculous route. Check out the details below for the Individual Time Trial and use the registration form to sign up for your turn to take it on. The top finishers will earn the right to compete in a special invitational race in 2021 with the champion's belt buckle on the line!
"The Dirty 130 is one of the greatest gravel loops in the southeast. It has some of the best climbs with awesome views and remote riding that keeps you looking up the whole time... I would say that this course is something that you must try at least once. It is the perfect gravel course." - Brad Cobb, 2020 Finisher
The Dirty 130 is an individual time trial (a timed solo ride) on a beast of a route covering 130 miles of forest roads, singletrack and trashy asphalt through the beautiful mountains of Southeast Tennessee and Southwest North Carolina (80% unpaved/20% paved). With over 14,000 feet of climbing, the Dirty 130 is one of the hardest one-day races in the country! (And be warned - you will get dirty!)
As an individual time trial, you're free to ride whenever you want. Just make sure you've registered with us prior to the ride so that we can track you on our ITT Leaderboard and reward you for your effort!
Riding the route is free anytime, but if you want to use the parking area and get on the official ITT Leaderboard, you will need to register for $50. Everyone who registers will also receive the most up-to-date route map, a Dirty 130 t-shirt, and a Dirty 130 patch - assuming you finish! Registering for the time trial also gives you a shot at being invited to the annual race for the top 50 finishers where we'll award the champion's belt buckle, (All proceeds from the time trial go directly to the promotion and expansion of bikepacking in the region.)
*EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT RIDING THE ROUTE COMPETITIVELY YOU MUST REGISTER TO USE THE PARKING AREA OR BE ON THE START/FINISH PROPERTY.
The route starts and finishes on private property, and the parking fee is included in your registration. We will provide you with the exact location after you register. The parking is day-use only at this time. No overnight parking.
Camping at the ride start is currently NOT ALLOWED, but should be available soon!
There are two ways to have your ITT verified for placement on the ITT Leaderboard. You can submit a Strava file to us after the ride or you can set up tracking with Trackleaders.com which will allow your friends and family to watch your progress "live" during your ride. Please contact Trackleaders at least a week prior to your intended ride date. (Allow more time if you need to rent a "Spot" tracking device from them.)
SUPPORT & WAYFINDING
The Dirty 130 is a self-supported individual time trial. It is imperative that you familiarize yourself with the route prior to attempting the ride and that you prepare a nutrition & hydration plan. Please note that the majority of roads on the route (especially in the national forest) do not have signs. We will provide you with the most up-to-date route map after you register for your use during the ride.
Everyone who registers and completes the time trial will be placed on the official ITT Leaderboard showing completion times. The top 50 on the Leaderboard as of midnight December 31, 2020, will qualify for a special invitational race with the coveted Dirty 130 Champion's Belt Buckle on the line! Details and dates for the invitational TBD. (The current Leaderboard includes times from previous years, but starting January 1st the Leaderboard will be reset and only show 2021 times.)
If you're not interested in racing the course, the Dirty 130 also makes for a beautiful bikepackiing adventure! Click here for more info on bikepacking the Dirty 130!
- John Wiygul 6/13/20: 9h-05m (fastest known geared time)
- Spencer Whittier 10/03/20: 9h-25m
- Brad Cobb 6/13/20: 9h-44m
- Jon Livengood 9/25/18: 9h-59m
- Scott Rusinko 9/25/18: 11h-22m
- Carey Lowery 9/25/18: 11h-30m (fastest known women’s time)
- Tim Crago 10/03/20: 11h-34m
- Zak Broussard 6/27/20: 11h-42m
- Chad Hungerford 9/23/17: 11h-44m
- Steve Curran 10/03/20: 11h-58m
- Chris Joice 9/23/17: 12h-06m
- John Shwab 9/25/18: 12-10m
- Nick Hamilton 9/25/18: 12h-27m
- Scott Smith 9/25/18: 12h-29m
- Collin Wood 9/25/18: 12h-29m
- Jeramie Hoff 10/03/20: 12h-34m
- Kenny Kocarek 7/25/20: 12h-52m
- Victoria Kelley 6/27/20: 12h-53m
- Rusty Dosh 9/23/17: 13h-02m
- Jeremy Zetans 9/23/17: 13h-04m
- Lee Neal 9/23/17: 13h-29m (singlespeed)
- Daniel Jesse 7/18/20: 13h-35m
- Zack Gaston 9/23/17: 13h-53m
- Mark Baldwin 10/14/17: 14h-14m
- Eric Henderson 10/17/19: 14h-20m
- Ray Brown 5/08/19: 14h-37m
- Brad Beadles 9/25/18: 14h-51m
- Kevin Greten 10/14/17: 14h-56m
- Lee Neal 9/25/18: 15h-10m
- Jason Vance 9/25/18: 15h-18m
- Graham Skardon 9/25/18: 15h-18m
- Sean Mankiw 9/23/17: 15h-29m
- Jason Shearer 6/20/20: 15h-31m
- Daryl Myers 8/07/18: 16h-08m (singlespeed)
- Amy White 9/14/19: 16h-11m
- Todd Nix 9/23/17: 16h-19m
- Keith Lucas 9/23/17: 16h-19m
- Chris Davis 4/28/18: 16h-21m
- Shawn Ledford 9/25/18: 16h-53m
- Joseph Kruger 3/07/20: 17h-10m
- Justin Shealey 9/25/18: 17h-21m
- Glen Slater 9/25/18: 17h-21m
- Audrey Tangye 6/20/20: 18h-35m
- Joshua Waldrop 6/20/20: 18h-35m
- Amie Jones 7/25/20: 18h-37m
- Corianne Kocarek 7/25/20: 18h-37m
- Chase Blanton 7/11/20: 19h-23m
- Ed McCalley 9/23/17: 20h-01m
- Michael Rasch 10/19/19: 20h-20m
- Chad Ponvelle 10/19/19: 20h-20m
- Christopher Manis 10/19/19: 20h-20m
- Larry Bennett 7/07/18: 21h-15m
- Joe Smith 7/11/20: 21h-18m
- Linda Sledge 9/23/17: 23h-03m
- Kevin Tumlin 9/23/17: 23h-03m
DNF's : 32 riders
Additional times from riders already on the Leaderboard:
- Brad Cobb 10/03/20: 9h-47m (fastest known singlespeed time)
- John Wiygul 10/03/20: 9h-48m *opposite direction
- Jon Livengood 9/23/17: 10h-29m
- Jon Livengood 8/07/17: 11h-08m
- Chris Joice 9/25/18: 12-20m (singlespeed)
- Carey Lowery 6/29/17: 12h-54m
- Zak Broussard 7/31/17: 13h-02m (singlespeed)
- Scott Rusinko 9/23/17: 13h-44m
- Jason Vance 12/23/19: 15h-26m (singlespeed)
- Jason Vance 1/20/20: 17h-22m (singlespeed) *opposite direction
- Jason Vance 10/19/19: 18h-10m (singlespeed)
- Graham Skardon 10/19/19: 18h-10m (singlespeed)
Individual Time Trials are all about self-sufficiency and a level playing field. To be eligible for a recorded time and placement on the Leaderboard, you must abide by the following rules:
1. You must take a picture of your bike computer right before you start and right after you finish. The pictures need to show the time of day and the mileage.
2. You must take a selfie from Buck Bald to verify that you made the climb.
3. Do not use the railroad bridge to cross the creek! Crossing on the railroad bridge will result in automatic disqualification. If you are concerned that it may not be safe to cross the creek, contact us for a bypass option.
4. The route must be ridden in one unbroken stage.
5. No drafting at any time.
6. No stashed caches along the route.
7. No sharing supplies between riders.
8. No outside assistance with navigation.
9. No motorized transport or hitch-hiking. You must complete the route under your own power.
10. You are allowed to leave the official route at any time as long as you return to the route within 100 feet of the point that you left the route.
11. No support crews. You can only receive support from local businesses on-site during their normal business hours.
12. You must have a contingency plan in place before you start the ride in case of emergency or if you need to quit. You are responsible for your own safety and well-being out there.
TRAIL MAGIC: Trail Magic is an unexpected occurrence that lifts a rider's spirits and inspires awe and gratitude. During an ITT, obtaining an item from another person can only be unsolicited and accidental, otherwise, the receipt of assistance or supplies by individuals when it's not available to all riders reflects a lack of self sufficiency which renders an effort not self-supported. In short, you can't ask for Trail Magic. You can only pray for it!